Friday, July 27, 2012

She Grew Here

The ranch has always been my ideal place (the ranch and the Needles section of Canyonlands... but very different concepts). When I close my eyes and picture perfection, I am in the middle of grove of quaking aspens... or perched on top of a jagged teton-range peak... or still, amid the asters, sticky geranium, yarro, and Indian paintbrush. This place is home to my heart. I can't keep away - I haven't kept away - each summer since I was 12.

I was managing the backpacking gear, greeting hikers as they returned from their overnight trips. I was checking in all the gear, organizing, cleaning, and repairing, while Scott and his fellow hike leader Linda downloaded with Dick how the hike went smoothly. My health prevents me from helping like I used to, so I had to be creative in finding ways to help this year. Linda saw me working, Peter in a hip-hamock, and said to Dick, "Look at that girl! Where did you find her?"

I love Dick's response. "Oh, her. She grew here."

I did.

Like a weed that can't be cut back and kept away! I just keep coming back. On another level though, I knew what Dick was saying. In addition to the important values I learned at home regarding testimony, work ethic, gratitude, sacrifice, and being myself, the ranch echoed those values and gave me the opportunity to reinforce them in my life... from the time I was very young. I very literally grew here.

The ranch, Sue and Dick, the nature that surrounds, the relationships I've formed, the realizations about myself, the creations of my hands and my heart, the songs that I sang, and the whisperings of the Spirit in all the quiet moments that witnessed of God and His love for me all gave me the vernacular to apply the gospel to my life. This beautiful experience represents all the best parts of who I am - including family, as I have been blessed to share the ranch with my parents, brothers, sisters, closest friends, husband, and baby boy. Lucky for me, I married a man who loves it just as much as I do (if that's possible). He has his own relationship with the ranch and doesn't simply respect or lean on mine. We haven't missed a summer since our wedding.

Peter was asleep in the car! I was sad we didn't get a picture with him in it. These are two (three!) of my heroes by my side.


Cute Peter on his first boat ride. Nasty side shot of me, however! We took the boat across Jenny Lake and took Peter on a hike to the Hidden Falls! Peter loved the windy boat ride and riding high on daddy's shoulders. But he got a little tired on the ride back. So was I! It was my first hike post-heart failure and respiratory failure. It was a beautiful start, but I have a long way to go!








We walked into one of those awesome, expensive fur stores in Jackson, where we spent one night before heading home on the most gorgeous drive through Star Valley I think we've ever experienced. We were both gushing over the beautiful northern farmlands, mountains, and fields. We started trying on some of the furs and taking pictures (aren't we a delight to have in the store?) when Scott says to me, "Now I can't run for president because somewhere down the line some animal rights activist will hold it against me that I even came in the this store."

I told him he could never run for president anyway because he's Canadian. So with that settled, we proceeded with the mortifying pictures before. When in Jackson...



That would be an entire bison my husband is wearing... naturally.

Rar!




I wanted to get Peter a little cowboy outfit... but after a quick photo shoot, I realized that the pictures will be souvenirs enough.  




He actually loved this hat! He was smiling at himself in the mirror behind some exhausted little eyes.





Peter's first Huckleberry ice cream (and ice cream in general!)




2 comments:

  1. your boy is so cute lindsey!!! this makes me miss jackson real bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when I have my own ranch you'll come stay yes? Looks like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete