Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Uncovering the MS DOS

Today I spent the afternoon helping my mom clean out my old bedroom so they can remodel it this week. It was so fun to go through some old things. I have a lot more work to do, but I came across a treasure!

My dad had this super old lap top that Kirsten, Doug, and I used at different times when we wanted to do homework in our bedroom or when the main computer was being used. It is old... as in it only takes floppy discs! It had Kirsten's bio vocab dated 1999, Doug's English Papers dated 2000, and my stories from middle school!

I found at least nine stories that I forgot I ever wrote! I remember writing them now, but I thought they were lost or hidden somewhere! I found letters belonging to the long lost London Game, and I thought long and hard about compiling those letters to tell an intricate story. I could write a book! I really could... it's practically done! I was so excited to revisit these stories, to become reacquainted with all my wonderful characters, to be smack dab in the middle of the conflicts and twists that I wrote. It was one of the most joyful journeys I could take! I can't wait to go through some of the boxes and see what more I find!

It was funny as I read these things I thought, have a lost that ability? Have I lost that mindset where anything is possible? Have I become too much of my own critic to really let loose with pen as I used to? Have I matured too much to accept that things in my imaginary world could actually translate to the one I'm in now? I remember when I used to be those characters... literally. Kids would write notes to each other in middle school, and my friends and I were writing to each others' alter-ego: characters in my London Game.

What if I wrote more? I wonder what's coming out these days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linds! How are you guys? I am so sad we missed you this holiday- we need to plan better next time, but hopefully we can hook up on your next visit here or my next visit there! Hope things are going well for you with all that sweet skiing! (I miss the powder). Enjoy it for me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete