Monday, August 17, 2009

THE RANCH


I am so grateful for how much time Scott and I were able to spend this summer at both the boys’ ranch and at Quickwater. I am even more grateful for the amazing husband I have.

I couldn’t picture anyone better suited for me and my life, and I’ve never had anyone open my eyes to new adventures and a new world like Scott does. I loved having Scott up at the ranch. I loved watching him find his own role there and really develop and understand in his heart what the ranch means to him. I’m so grateful that I have a husband who enjoys hard work and has his eyes open looking for what can be done to help.


It was also so fun for me to be at the ranch with my parents, sister, and nephews. Andrew and Ben made themselves right at home, and mom and dad worked really hard and made everyone's experience at the ranch so much better. I can't think of anything better than having my family at the ranch. There's no better way to spend the summer!


Scott and I were so lucky to lead the Table Rock hike at the Quickwater this summer. I was so impressed by how well the girls did and what an awesome group of girls we got to take up the mountain. A hike with so many memories, it was a gift to be able to share it with Scott. Quickwater means so much to me for a number of reasons. It is the place that represents where I grew up in many ways. It is such a blessing to have a place where I could put my own individual stamp on it as it has put its stamp on me. I love to see tiles grouted in the kitchen that I’ve made throughout the years, ever since I was thirteen years old. I love finding my name on benches and tables I’ve made and seeing pictures and paintings of mine hanging or sitting in the lodge or the barn.

The premise behind the ranch is gratitude and service, but I feel like I walk away more indulgent than the ranch itself. It does so much more for me than I can do for it. The ranch is the place where I learned to read my scriptures for inspiration. It’s where I learned to make choices to invite the Spirit to be with me always. It’s where I learned about creativity: that I can envision what I want to make with my hands, whether out of wood, pottery, yarn, paint, or fabric, and I can create that vision in reality. It’s where I learned that I can be creative in the same way with my life. I can envision that perfect version of me, and I can work to become whatever I wish to be. The friends that I’ve made on the canvas of the ranch are the friendships that have in many ways been my proudest ones, my favorite masterpieces of friendship because they are based on the common ground of what the ranch can offer.

The ranch has always been a refreshing respite in my life, where I come home to myself and I know who I am as I see what I do. I always hope to go home and improve my life amid the chaos to mimic living simply, being still, and practicing quiet dignity. I am so grateful for Sue and Dick for all that they teach me and have taught me as they’ve provided such an incredible piece of my life’s collage. I’m so happy that I was able to experience Scott’s first time at the ranch: His first time milking a goat.

His first time slopping pigs.

His first time playing signs on an all-girls backpacking trip.
His first time cooking gourmet food for over fifty people. His first original project in the wood barn (we made a coffee table!). His first time hearing Dick read aloud by the fire (this year he read Flush. It was like the thrilling days of radio!).



I’m just so grateful that the ranch is there for me, and that it is there for Scott now as well. We will spend the rest of our lives trying to be there for it. I remember the first time I went nine years ago. Every year since, I have added to my list of favorite memories some of the moments I’ve spent at the ranch. When I think about who I was at thirteen, I am so grateful that the ranch helped me keep being that person, and become the one I am now. One of my projects I’d love to get going on is to scan all of my QW pictures onto the computer. Everything’s digital now. It’d be fun to have all of them close together.

No comments:

Post a Comment