Friday, September 7, 2012

Peter's Labor Day

My baby is one. I can't figure out how that happened. I know everybody says that, and everybody means it. For me it is especially surreal. One year ago. One year ago I experienced my most undeniable blessings and miracles alongside my greatest trials. I fought with my loved ones to keep our family together. I fought hard to be here every day for my boys and do all the ordinary things I always took for granted. It has solidified my testimony and trust in my Savior. It has increased my appreciation and gratitude for all that he gives me. It has sharpened my perspective on what really deserves value and attention. It has cheered me, calmed me, oriented me, and saved me. 


 I get tired... all the time. I have to take it slow and watch my lungs and heart. I get anxious. I still have bad dreams sometimes. I can't carry laundry up the stairs. I only sit through feel-good movies so my heart doesn't beat too quickly. I go to bed at nine. If these are my biggest scars, I am the most blessed. No scar stands out among my blessings.

I am so grateful for what we went through...every painful part of it. I am so grateful to remember so I can re-learn the lessons, re-appreciate my loved ones, re-marvel at my baby, and re-feel the confidence I have in my faith. I felt the love and instruction of the Lord through it all. I have felt it ever since.

Labor Day will always be a new January. It will always be a time we look back and look near and see how far we've come. But September 4th will always be a day we celebrate Peter for the calm and determined spirit that he is (thank you for that description, Margy) and always has been. He came straight from our Father's arms with the strength and knowledge to teach us all about the bigger picture. He continues to help me stay my faith in the plan. 


Peter had a fantastic first birthday filled with the love of so many. We received loving notes from friends. Uncle Ollie and Auntie M sent him a fun package in the mail. Uncle Doug called to talk to Peter from New York. Uncle Johnny and Peter's NEW Aunt Alyssa called from their new apartment in Provo. Andrew, Ben, and SJ left him a happy birthday message that makes Peter smile when I play it back. Great-Grandma Joan and Great-Grandpa George sent Peter their love. We are having his birthday party at their house tomorrow! Grandma Teri and Grandpa Dave helped us purchase a new big boy car seat and took us to dinner. Peter sat on Grandpa's lap the whole time. I think they're mutually obsessed with each other, and I love it!

 Peter, you are loved and treasured. You are affectionately known in our extended family as "The Million Dollar Baby," "The Miracle Boy," "Angel" and are constantly called "amazing!" Anyone who knows you takes every opportunity to be near you as much as they can. You are our greatest example and light. 


You love your dad; he still gets your biggest smiles and giggles. You love your mom; the two of you spend all day, every day, making up games and finding tickle spots (you make my job so easy!) You love your grandparents, uncles, and aunts, especially Grandpa Dave. You will whine and whimper the instant you see him until you're settled in his arms. You love your cousins and follow them everywhere; you think you're just as big as they are. You are in the 97% for height and the 1% for weight. Yes... 1%. It's a perfect storm of a busy, active boy and really skinny genes (not skinny jeans... gross). You eat like crazy, though... especially black beans, blueberries, string cheese, and wheat noodles with red sauce. You dance with us by wiggling when you hear music and shaking your head back and forth. It cracks us up, especially when paired with your "Lindsey face," as your dad calls it (when you scrunch up your tiny nose and smile with ALL your teeth). You have six awesome teeth! You love the tub; it's a battle getting you out each night. You are the best. You take three naps a day and sleep through the night! You rode your bike ALL THE WAY around the block! You WOULD NOT turn around and go back, no matter how sneakily we tried to turn you around. We had no choice but to make the full journey! You love to be buried in all the goods from our garden. You got your first haircut which about killed your mom... but we made it through. You love hide-and-seek, the Tupperware drawer, the big magnets on the fridge, and garbage trucks. You love to be outside. On you birthday you climbed on top of our big bed so you could look out the window. That scared the bajeebies out of your mom. What was up with that?

And how does one spell "bajeebies?"



Happy birthday big guy! Thank you for EVERY. SINGLE. SECOND and for helping us feel a love so strong that could only come straight from Heaven.

(Pictures from our trip to the Beach House)

3 comments:

  1. Lindsey! I am basically in tears reading your blog. You and your family are SO inspiring. And my heroes. I love you Linds. I'm so grateful for you and your example. Thank you linds. Thank you for the reminder of what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty amazing linds. you are one amazon mama. happy b day to your sweet little man.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a miracle that boy is! Thanks for sharing Lindsey. Can't wait to see you and your cute family again.

    ReplyDelete