Thursday, June 20, 2013

Come on Bookin! Pay!

Photo Credit to Christine Olson

Peter has lately become very concerned with Brooklyn and all of her needs. He is always suggesting I put her in her chair, telling me when she needs "na-naits", trying to soothe her when she's sad ("Uh-oh, Bookin sad!"), finding her "gink" (binky), helping me hold her, and helping me feed her. He is a very good and loving big brother. If there's one thing he could work on, it would be not screaming in the car seat adjacent to his sister, "Papa house! Papa house!"  

I have to record this little moment from yesterday. It made me so happy and excited that each of my kids has a sibling. We went to the park where there are tons and tons of big monster trucks to use in the sand. Peter was so excited and wanted to start digging, but he gets a little shy around other kids he doesn't know very well. So he stood by me as I sat on the bench and fed Brooklyn. I kept encouraging him to go play with a truck and pointing out different kids he could go play with. But he didn't budge and just stared in the direction of the kids. After about ten minutes, he finally turned to Brooklyn and me and said, "Bookin! Come on Bookin! Pay!" 

It was the cutest thing! And I felt so sad telling him that Brooklyn was too little to play in the sand but that someday she would be able to play with him. It made me so happy that my kids will always have each other. Peter eventually made his way over to the other kids, and that's a good thing, but I love that his first thought was to ask his sister, a tiny baby, to come play. 

When Scott and I started the adoption process, we had a small handful of people suggest that our desire to adopt was in some way unfair to Peter. I don't know if these people would have felt the same way had I gotten pregnant with my second instead of filed for adoption, but either way, it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Why is it unfair to Peter to give him a sibling that he can love, protect, play with, and grow with? 

This sweet little moment at the park was a reassuring moment that our family is growing in just the way and timing that Heavenly Father intended. We have a beautiful life, we are filled to the brim with joy always, and we have so much ahead of us to look forward to. I'm liking His plan for our family. A lot. 



1 comment:

  1. Never mind the naysayers. They just don't understand. Adopting Nathan, 17 years ago,has been 'the icing on the cake' for all of us, including his four older natural-born siblings! You are a lucky, and wonderful, mama!!!

    ReplyDelete