Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sweet Pete

I am going to be so sad if I let any more time go by without recording some of the things Peter says and does daily. And it's perfect, because Peter is 2 1/2 today! That's about as close to milestone-specific posts I've ever gotten. I don't know how people manage their monthly photo shoots with a sign and a decorative backdrop.

Peter is such a smart, creative, and talkative kid, and we have a blast together. He truly is my best friend, and I enjoy my conversations with him so much. He is a crack up. He has the sweetest little voice with the most darling inflections. He is so sensitive to how people are feeling, especially his sister. He always hears her fuss or cry before any one else does. Peter brightens our days with his big, expressive eyes, and his energetic laugh. A few of our most recent favorites:

When he sings the ABC's. It is adorable. He is doing really well with his letters. When he gets to "L--M-N-O-P," though, he pauses a bit and mutters "1-2-3-4-P." It is my favorite.

He can count to 20. But he knows larger numbers exist because any time he measures something with his measuring tape, the height/length is "terty-seben."

He pronounces "helicopter" like, "hucka-ta-cott-ter." He calls the living room the "little room." He calls the elevator the "alligator."

He sings "Twinkle Star Song" to his sister whenever she is sad. It is especially cute in the car. He'll do it fast, slow, loud, soft, and dramatically with his head shaking and his mouth wide WIDE open. Brooklyn loves it and stops fussing or crying immediately when she hears it. It's been like that from the day we brought her home from the hospital. They are good little buddies, and Peter takes good care of his sister.

Peter will also respond to Brooklyn waking up from a nap or fussing in her crib by going in her room, bringing her a toy and saying, "Hi sweetheart. I'm here. I'm here. Hi sweetheart. I'm here." I can't handle how adorable it is.

His best bud is his Papa. He loves his Papa, and has from his earliest days. He went though a stage right before his first birthday where no one could hold him at any family event except for his Papa. He's just always had a thing for my dad! I can't blame him. My dad is pretty awesome and makes showing his love for our family his top priority. I can't name a single thing in life he ranks above showing love to us. One day my dad stopped by on his way home from the airport (we have been lucky enough to be his first stop off the plane or home from work many times. It's one of the things we miss most now that we're further away). He brought with him a little stuffed deer for Brooklyn and a fox for Peter. Peter switched them, and has been obsessed with his deer ever since. He says "Is special. Papa gave me my deer." He sleeps with it every night, clutching it so tightly that the poor deer's neck is skinny and sweaty all the time. Before we made our way to MN, my dad got each of the kids a special new friend for the plane. Peter got a dog and named him "Mikey" (Uncle Mike was visiting at the moment Peter received his friend!), and Brooklyn got a lamb that Peter named for her, "Lamby." Every night Peter makes sure he has three things to sleep. His deer from Papa, his dog from Papa, and his "Roar" (The little tiger he's slept with since he was a baby. He named it "Roar" when he was about 15 months old).

Peter is really into pretend-play lately. He creates conflict in his train-playing. "Oh no, Mama! The track is broken! The bridge is still falling! Pwease fix it pwease! Thomas is helping." He loves to make "launch (lunch)" for us in his "chicken (kitchen)." He wears his apron, gives us each a "Nackom (napkin)," and serves us our specific dishes. He narrates e v e r y t h i n g. I love that. I love following his long sentences and putting all the pieces together. He has a huge vocabulary for such a little guy. I love it!

He always says, "Still falling." "Mama! My mok is stiiiiillll fawlling!" "Mama! Bookwin's spoon is stiiiiill fawlling!"

He hears EVERYTHING. Whether it's a conversation Scott and I have in the front of the car, or whether we are talking in the kitchen while Peter is in the playroom, Peter repeats or comments on what we're saying. It is adorable... but we have to be so careful about what we say!

"Peter, should we go upstairs and have a tubby?" "Oh yes. Dat would be great!"

This sweet dialogue is a regular occurrence. While snuggling, I give Peter a kiss on his head or a hug. "Gankoo, Mama. Gankoo for kisses on my head. Gankoo very much!" or "Gankoo for da hug, Mama. Gankoo very much!"

He always says things like, "Oh yes. It's dewishes (delicious)." "Oh! Gankoo! Gankoo very much!" He is a champion at please and thank you. He is simply the sweetest.

Peter loves Daniel Tiger. The songs stick with him, and we totally use them in every day life. "It's almost time to stop, so pick one more thing to do." He does his one more thing and says, "That was fun, but now it's done!" And he's done. It's amazing. He's amazing.

I have a picture of my grandma in Brooklyn's bedroom. She passed away days after Brooklyn was born, and Brooklyn Rose is named for her. We call her Grandma Pete (and have since I was born). Peter knows exactly who she is and calls her "Gramma Peep."

Peter loves nursery and is a champ. He is the most laid-back nursery goer and loves playing with his friends. We were worried about making the change to our new ward in Minneapolis, but Peter did great and was so excited!

I love his little bedtime routine. He is committed to the order and sequence of his nightly ritual. He reads his books by himself about half the time. I love it. He loves to read, and I love when he wants to do it by himself. He is so inquisitive and asks fantastic questions about the pictures as we read. He is so smart, and it is so rewarding to see him learn so fast and so well. My decision to be home with my kids is in large-part founded in my desire to see the attributes and characteristics I impart onto them contribute to their growth and personality. Peter brings me so much joy and satisfaction. I am so proud of the little person that he is.

He dances. Oh, how he dances. He... I can't... there is no... it's... words fail me. His dance moves are inexplicable. And he dances all the time. There's a dance for every occasion. From the "all better dance" to the yummy food dance... to the daddy's home dance... to the music at the restaurant dance, he has skill and personality. Thanks to Uncle Doug and Uncle Johnny for the awkward lurpy dance gene.

Peter is very musical in general. He has excellent intonation for such a little guy. He remembers songs. He makes up his own. I will never forget his cute little voice doing his "Away away a-WAAAAAYYY" song.

Peter looks like his dad. More and more, everyday. I am stunned sometimes at the similarity, stopped in my tracks. Peter is his daddy's twin. Who wouldn't love that?

Peter does this little sequence with me that turns me limp every time:
"I love you, Peter."
"I love you too, Mama."
"Oh, thank you, Peter. You're the best."
"You're the best too, Mama."
"Oh, thank you, Peter. You are a sweetheart."
"You a sweetheart too, Mama."

It goes on and on. Unless you tell him he's awesome:
"You're awesome, Peter."
"No. I not awesome. I'm boy. Peter. And Bookwin are a grill."

I love his questions and narration while we're in the car and he's pointing out all he sees out the window.

He is really into art lately. He loves his easel, and he loves to draw with his "colors." I love to see his creations. We love to have art time while Brooke is sleeping.

Peter is excellent with puzzles. He knows all his shapes. He knows all his colors. He is a fast learner and a quick thinker. Sometimes he pulls a fast one on me. I think I'm striking a good bargain with the boy, and without realizing it I've been suckered into a Peter negotiation that gets him an extra treat or a later bedtime. How does he do that? I don't know whether to be frustrated or proud at him for the sneak-attack.

The word "sneak." Peter LOVES to sneak on anyone. He approaches them, slowly, saying the word, "sneak" over and over again to the tune of the pink panther. I know he got this from me. It's hilarious that it has rubbed off on him.

He is just so funny, and I need to be better about recording the goofy things he does (by the way, he uses the word 'doofy' all the time." He also likes to tell me I'm "silly and nuts").

I could gush all day. I'm so beyond grateful to be a mom. Being present for these little moments with Peter and with Brooklyn is the most fulfilling blessing.



No comments:

Post a Comment