Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I may have exaggerated

I am still here today, aren't I?

I left this afternoon, anticipating a rather unpleasant and complicated trip to Walmart for some storage bins and closet organizers (its time to organize that darn closet). Why must there be six aisles of options!!! Show me a difference people! But I was so happy when I had the thought to give my fabulous friend Laura a call, and I happened to reach her in the middle of Brinley's nap. Lucky lucky me! I found myself talking to Laura all about something I haven't really said to myself yet, and it felt so good to know that despite living in different states and playing hit and miss when either one of us comes to town, the friendship is still strong and talking to her still gives me comfort. Walmart is probably my least favorite place on this earth, and Laura distracted me from the whole experience... actually turned it into a good one.

I came home to make a terribly intricate dinner of watermelon and corn on the cob (we weren't really in the overachieving mood at our house tonight). I paid our rent, wrote a thank you note, worked on finances and insurance stuff that has piled up while I was away. I'm contemplating taking a bubble bath to help my sinuses clear up, Scott brought me a hot chocolate from work, and I'm thinking about how simply good my life is. Nothing big brought me to this realization; I haven't had a truly transformational day, but the simplicity of a day like today made me realize that even mundane days have their highlights (like a phone call with a friend and a surprise hot chocolate), and that I am lucky. Even a day this uneventful leaves me feeling grateful. It helps me realize how little it takes to turn a bad day into a good one.

Life is good, don't you think? Maybe I'm having this new appreciation for life after being so near to death as recently as yesterday. I almost died, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment