Thursday, July 1, 2010

Life is a Bowl of Cherries

And bowls of cherries come at great cost.

(Look at what happens when I get talking... or typing. I don't stop. But it does feel good to get caught up again. This is all for the sake of journaling... so I guess you can't write too much)

The bee post reminded me (because of the similar feeling of terror) of a question I wanted to send out into the cosmic void. What is the proper cherry tree etiquette when the cherry tree is on the street-side of the sidewalk? On Sunday I pointed out to Scott that the house across the street has a gorgeous cherry tree with GORGEOUS, red cherries, ripe for the picking! So many cherries going to waste because no one had picked them!



We started out picking a few here and there in passing. A couple days later, I brought a bowl across the street with us, and we had a very sneaky cherry-snatching operation. I kept one eye on the tree, and one eye on the light in the entry room of the house. Things seemed to be going fine, and our pile of loot was looking delicious, when the worst happened. The phone inside the house started ringing! Terror-stricken, I darted across the street shrieking at Scotty to follow; I was so worried a neighbor was calling the cherry tree owner to tell him/her that thieving was afoot outside. Scott obnoxiously and casually skateboarded across the street, stopped in front of our condo, and decided that was the perfect moment to take a phone call. I was fuming with anger and panic as I peered around the wall, motioning for Scott to please come hide himself before the cherry tree owner came out and saw him. Andrew showed up right at this moment, probably thinking I was insane.

I put it behind me as soon as my heart calmed down and my sense of rebellion diminished. We hung out in the kitchen, snacking on cherries when Scott excused himself to use the restroom upstairs. A few minutes later, Andrew and I heard a stern knock at the door. No one ever knocks on our door besides visiting teachers and home teachers. Of course it was the cherry tree owner, coming to confront us! I was seriously numb with terror! "I'm a thief!" I thought. "I'm going to get caught!" I thought. "I can't deal with this!" I thought. I motioned to Andrew to answer the door, and I ran up the stairs. I figured Andrew could answer the door and tell what's-his-name-cherry-owner that he had the wrong house. Coward: Me.

I heard another knock on the door (I found out that Andrew had jumped up to hide the bowl of cherries after the first knock. So glad he was caught-up in all the excitement like I was). I listened at the top of the stairs, failing to notice that the light to the upstairs bathroom was off. Scott wasn't using the bathroom, but I was too consumed by my felony to pay attention. Andrew opened the door, and I heard Scott's voice, "Oh, man. I was going to try to scare Lindsey."

"It worked!!!" I yelled from upstairs!! Scott wasn't even in the dog house for pranking me. It was too funny, and I was being too ridiculous. I love that Scott knows when and how to take advantage of my ridiculousness.

I love that boy. We have a lot of fun around our house.

1 comment: