Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Itching.

Scott and I are using our insurance reimbursement this year for gym memberships at 24-Hour fitness. We've decided that the two-year anniversary is the gym membership anniversary. What's different about us though, is that we've joined the gym to gain weight instead of lose it. In the stress of life, we've lost all that muscle we had when we got married. Remember how we started dating on a river?

We went on Saturday and again last night. It's a lot of fun. I went to my first Zumba class and had a blast dancing for an hour to the familiar soothing sounds of Tunak Tunak Tun. I'm extremely uncoordinated, it seems, because I was about a half-step behind everybody else the entire time and for crying out loud, how does one shimmy??? I have never figured that one out. I doubt I ever will. I end up doing some jagged-bony-shoulder-swivel. I'll definitely go back though. It really was fun, and I'm glad we can stay active through the winter... especially with the nasty SL inversion. I liked it... but as I sat on the stationary bike last night, I couldn't help but think about how much I have been lately lacking in my experience with the outdoors.

Outside: The world existing beyond where one is physically confined or obliged to be (Oxford English Dictionary).


As we looked at the gym from the top level, all the people on the treadmills looked like little ants, all moving and moving and moving... but not getting anywhere! While knowing I was about to join them, it made me think for a minute about how grateful I am to have grown up in Utah. I infinitely prefer rowing a boat on the great Colorado to the stationary rowing weight-machine at 24-Hour (except I am loving the chance to simulate the experience). I am so grateful to have been able to be raised on a mountain. Exercise isn't quite the same without breeze and oxygen. What is beautiful about nature is the culmination of everything that centers me. I love being in nature and helping my mind come back to me as my body feels refreshed and my heart knows the true meaning and details of my existence.

The thoughts of the earth are my thoughts.
The voice of the earth is my voice.
All that belongs to the earth belongs to me.
All that surrounds the earth surrounds me.
It is lovely indeed, it is lovely indeed.

Navajo Song


It is fun to go to the gym, especially with Scott. We're going to have a great time together. But I still can't get that itch out of my system... I need to head to the hills! Which would you choose? Climb the same three steps on a stair-climber over and over again, or rise to the top of a mountain?

We've got some ski passes practically jumping out of the drawer wanting us to use them! Scott has finals this week and next. We'll seize every second of this much-needed break.

1 comment: