Monday, May 16, 2011

"Today you are birthed. Ode."

That was Doug's birthday greeting to me yesterday.

***Editor's Note*** I hadn't even noticed that last blog post from Scotty!!! I think we were writing our posts at the same time. How sweet is that!!?? He's my favorite. And I love being his sidekick!!

It was a wonderful day. I took my parents to the airport first thing and then joined Kirsten and family up in Farmington to play my violin in her ward. Andrew was waiting with some pictures he drew for me for my birthday, Ben was waiting with one of his violent-crash-into-you kind of hugs, and SJ was waiting with a smile and her best elephant impression. Kirsten and Nick were so nice to make me my favorite dinner with delicious salmon and homemade cheesecake with amazing fresh strawberries. I remember one year for my birthday I told my dad that all I wanted was a crate of strawberries... and he got them! And I ate them!!!

It was so nice to spend the day with the sobrinos and Kirst and Nick. I spent the evening with my grandparents after that and enjoyed waking up in my grandparents' house to witness grandpa's masterpiece breakfast. It was a birthday filled with family, rest, and fun... but it unfortunately didn't include Scott. A holiday just isn't a holiday without Scotty there to share it. Little man and I have missed him.

It's interesting to me that my birthday came and went. Thank you to friends and family who sent their hello along! I'm 24 and one day old. Kirsten was asking me if I felt older, and I laughed because for the first time in my life, I feel younger! I feel like this birthday I'm feeling more and more overwhelmed, inadequate, and unprepared to handle all the big changes coming up. Maybe this is the true mark of adulthood... the fact that I actually feel like a child. Maybe it's more childish to feel grown up. Maybe coming to grips with the reality of the situation that I'm in over my head is actually a sign that maturity is starting to sink in.

It's been a big weekend though! I kind of can't believe I've gotten through it and that I'm finding time to scribble on my blog a bit. Many updates and announcements to come... but the biggest one is that come a week and a half, we will be greeting Johnny at the airport after two long years apart!!!! I can't wait to see him! And I can't wait to see him see the boys. I think that will be so fun to watch the reunion between Johnny and Andrew. Andrew talks about him all the time and is petrified that Johnny won't remember him. It'll be so fun to have him back. He is definitely the most popular member of our family and very very missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment