Friday, October 1, 2010

I just got an email from Em.

She's in Maine with her family.

I used to listen to her describe her time in Maine and wonder how a place could be so idyllic.

Hearing from her reminded me of my summer on the coast. I went back to my archives to read about it. The connection to be found there is inspiring. I felt it so fast. I loved it so quickly. I forgot it too easily. Thanks for the reminder, Em, not only of Maine, but also of a simultaneous content and inquisitive Lindsey.

From an email written to a friend 7.28.05

Today was a relaxing day. We went out to this old lighthouse for a while. The waves were crashing up against the rocks so rhythmically; i tried to catch a few with my camera, but you never know if those things turn out. It was beautiful, though. Perfect place to sit with the wind blowing as i took pictures. On the way home, we stopped by this small swimming hole. I loved it because it was freshwater and warmer than the ocean. It was so refreshing to jump from the bridge or swing from this pathetic little rope swing. We stayed for a few hours, got ice cream on the way home, and went to a few shops before coming home. Em's grandparents (Nana and Pop Pop) own a large house right on the corner of a small street in the tiny town of Ocean Point. They also own this portion of rock/beach in front of their home, so I've spent a few nights sitting out on the rocks with the salty breeze and the waves crashing below me. I love sitting out there and clearing my mind. Emily's grandma has this garden that is famous on Ocean Point. It's on post cards and in books... so we've spent some time working in the garden. I love jumping off the dock and being on the boats. It really is the best feeling. Tomorrow Em and i are going to this small Boothbay Harbor Farmer's Market where we hope to buy something we can make a dessert out of. We were looking in recipe books yesterday and we have some good ideas for some desserts we want to try. They have the best fruit here. And the best ice cream and cheese! I am told it's because the cows out here eat grass instead of sage... mmmmm.... ice cream. I've eaten so much ice cream. After the farmer's market we're going to go into town where there's a lot of little shops where we can entertain ourselves. I love how quiet everything is here. On Sunday nights, you can ride your boat across the harbor to this restaurant where they play live jazz. You can just sit in your boat and listen to it from there. Em's parents go on cocktail cruises in their boat; we went on one last night. Friends come, and they just sat out on the boat, eating and drinking their cocktails while we went for rides in Emily's little put put boat that we can barely start. Oh, and we go tubing in another boat that the Kerns own. They have three boats all together. It's fun right now because Em's cousins are in town so there's always people around. There's this pack of neighborhood kids who spend their summers here so they all know each other. They're a little intimidating because there's so many of them... but they come over and Em's brother brings out his potato gun and they shoot potatoes out into the ocean, trying to hit seagulls but always failing. Oh... i tried freshly-caught fish. It wasn't gross... but it wasn't good. Let's just put it that way. You wont believe this... but today Em and I stopped by an ice cream shop in inland Boothbay Harbor, and out of 49 flavors of ice cream i chose peach, a difficult decision, believe me. So the lady hands me my ice cream cone... oh my gosh this thing looked like heaven! I can't even describe it. I was so excited about this ice cream cone, just the look of it, and when i started eating it i was completely consumed by it. THIS IS THE BEST ICE CREAM I HAVE EVER TASTED IN MY LIFE!!!! and i am completely positive that that is true. Every time i licked my ice cream i just started smiling. Finally, i gave Emily a hug; she was just laughing at me because i was finding so much pleasure in this ice cream cone. Two glistening tears down my cheeks, and i was crying over this peach ice cream. It was divine. I am having so much fun! I love Maine. I love everything about it, the salty, humid air and the tall houses with the wrap-around porches. I love riding crappy bikes to the dock, and i love the windblown feeling of being on a boat all day. I could stay here forever!


Sometimes my need to organize and consolidate causes me to toss the clutter. I'm glad I've held on to this unchanged hotmail account (the first email account I ever established). These emails are my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment