Friday, July 12, 2013

The Tetons

It was weirdly a relief that we forgot to bring our camera to the Tetons this year. 

We had our phones, and we have our memories. It was kind of nice to sit back and enjoy instead of trying to capture all the magnificent moments on film. I'm happy with the pictures we do have though. Most of my favorites are on Scotty's phone, so I'll have to remember to include those some other time. 

Peter loved the ranch. 

I think Brooklyn did too because she smiled more at the ranch than she ever has before. 

I love the ranch. And so does Scott. What a wonderful, refreshing blessing it is for us to be there. 

Peter, Brooklyn, and I had so much fun exploring the ranch and visiting the animals multiple times a day. There are details I'll never forget (Peter straddling the rocks on the path outside the family cabin. Running though the sprinklers. Peter counting the boulders. Peter high-fiving all the hikers. Peter "helping" with the back packs. Brooklyn learning to smile. Brooklyn snoozing in my baby carrier, snuggled up to me nearly ever instant. Carrying both kids up to the meadow at Quickwater and understanding why God blessed me with a quick, miraculous recovery; I think he knew I'd be needing the energy!).

Scott backpacked up to Green Lakes with a bunch of the boys and leaders. It was so much fun that he was able to lead the hike with Espen, my amazing cousin. I was pretty jealous (of the hike and the company). 

We finished our trip in Teton National Park. We took a boat across Jenny Lake and hiked up to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. We loved it! It is one of our favorite traditions. The hike to Hidden Falls will always be a meaningful one for me. Last year it was my first hike post-heart failure, and it took a lot out of me (a measly mile!). Now, approaching my two year mark from my accident and the one year mark since I went off medications for my heart and lungs, I felt like I could run it (with a baby strapped to my front)! It was the most amazing feeling to see where I was a year ago and the year before that, and then to see the literal healing power of God at work. My testimony of the Atonement is that God makes weak things strong. And I feel it more and more each day of my life. 

We went to Colter Bay for the first time, and are so excited for next year when Brooklyn will be walking. She and her brother will have so much fun playing on the rocky beach. Peter got in all the way to his neck, and he loved it! He has become quite the expert at rock-tossing. 

We stayed at Jackson Lake two nights and couldn't get over the beauty. We planned to do a boat rental or a paddle board, but we were hit by some unexpected hail. We made the drive back to the ranch to pick up Espen, and we were so happy to have him along for the last leg of our trip. He was a good sport to be along for the road on the ONE night that Peter decided to wake up screaming for an hour. Still not sure what that was all about, but Espen was a champ. I don't know if we can convince him to travel with us again, but he did make a babysitting offer at the end of the drive home... so I guess we didn't scare him away too badly!

The Tetons amaze us every year. And we look up at those peaks and dream about everything we have yet to discover in them. We may be confined to their base while our kids are young, but we can't wait until we can get higher and higher as our kids grow. Standing on the Grand as a family? I can't think of a better goal.


I LOVE this picture because of the story of the piano bench that goes with it. Did you ever imagine that Peter the Great would be sitting on this amazing work of art, Grandpa Dave? Thanks for building it!
























No comments:

Post a Comment