Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Preschool!?!

I have done some hard things in my life:
I've guided passenger-filled rafts through class 5 rapids. 
I've rappelled a 300 ft cliff.
I've spent a couple weeks on life support.
I've recovered from heart failure. 
I've kept two kids under two alive (and changed all the diapers that came with).
I've lived away from Cafe Rio for seven months.

But I have never sent a kid to school for the first time. 
That. Was. Killer.

The minute I dropped him off, I started to to break down the morning in my brain. Did I pack everything he needed? Did I make this morning and the build-up as fun as possible? Does he know he can use the potty at school? Does he know how much I love him? WHY DIDN'T I FEED HIM ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST?

At that moment I thought Peter should have ice cream for breakfast EVERY morning. I know moms and dads have sent their kids off to daycare and school since the beginning of time... but this was MY FIRST time. I don't leave my kids often at all. I haven't gotten babysitters. I can count the nights I've spent away from them on one hand. And look at how much I was thinking and worrying about ME!

Peter was a total champ when I walked him into his classroom. He was excited to put his backpack in his locker. He loved having a name tag that said "Peter" on it. He picked a car track to play with and invited a cute little girl named Chloe to play with him. I told him I'd be back soon, and he gave me a kiss goodbye. When it came time to pick him up, he ran to me with a huge smile, told me about how he built a city with a new friend and a tower with blocks. He "painted a little minute" a picture of a penguin. He learned his teacher's name. He had a lot of fun. He wants to go back. Done deal for Peter. 

Peter, I am so proud of you. I'm happy you had such a wonderful first day of preschool. I was doubting myself last night as I thought about saying goodbye. I was wondering if I should keep you at home until next year. But all of that thinking was directed at whether or not I was ready to have to go, and not whether or not you were ready for this new experience. And you are so ready. You amaze me. Hearing about your fun day on the drive home validated the whole thing for me. I just love your guts (hence the many pictures about to follow of you looking adorable while standing on a step). 





No comments:

Post a Comment