Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mid May Vacation




New York/Washington DC:
Did you know that we went to New York and Washington DC? We went in mid-May. Scott went over early for work, and I joined him a couple days after my birthday. It was fun to be out there together. Scott served his mission in NY and I hadn't been there in about ten years. We really need to take another trip when we can have more time during the day to meet some friends from his mission and check more off the list. But it was fun to see family. I had the daytime to explore, and then Scott and I met up for the evenings. It was just so nice to be together. I had been home alone for a week before I flew out, and that was a bad deal.
Before I got there, Scott went to the Statue of Liberty with his parents, Margy, and Oliver. He also visited with mission friends and had fun getting to know people in the NY Goldman office. We all went to see "How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying" with Daniel Radcliffe. I thought it was hillarious. It was so fun to get a good laugh in. I was able to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art twice, the Natural History Museum, walk through an overcast Central Park, walk up and down Lexington Avenue, visit FAO Schwartz, see Rockefeller Center, visit Bloomingdales, have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity, spend some good time at the Strand, visit Grand Central Station, and discover lots of other adventures on my way. I got a metro pass the first day I was there, and I went nuts. Everything feels so close together, and I loved navigating my way throughout the city. I was thinking about how long its been since I have had so much alone time to just explore. I really enjoyed it, knowing that I won't have that kind of alone time ever again once little man comes along. Scott worked hard at his new office and had a good time meeting co-workers he communicates with daily. We had so much fun exploring in the evening. We went to the Modern Art Museum, out for delicious dinners, and had a lot of fun bookstore shopping and exploring the city.

We took a bus down to Washington DC for a wedding. This is going to have to be another trip in of itself. I've been to Washington DC, but Scott's never been there, and I think he would LOVE it. There's so much history and endless ways to spend your time. I can't wait to go back sine we had such a quick trip... only a day. We spent that day at the DC temple with friends and family, and then made our way down to James Madison's house in Virginia. It was beautiful. The wide open estate was unbelievable. Scott was plotting the whole time about how he could purchase the property. We left at 10ish at night to drive back to NY for early morning flights. Rick was such a good sport to drive everyone where they needed to go, and he had driven through the night and was still going strong! I was very grateful and impressed. While it was a wonderful trip, this is my little note to self. I was just heading into my seventh month of pregnancy, and all the time in the car was not the best idea. I found my first bad veins after being on the plane and in the car so much in such a short period of time. I didn't take stops to stretch out my legs, and maybe that would have made a difference... but I'm going to be extra careful in the future. I was just really nauseous and car sick, but I couldn't sleep because my body doesn't bend in all the ways it used to. I used to be able to squish into any space and knock myself out, but it was just hard to maneuver with this big belly and swollen limbs.

We had such a fun trip, and it was one of our last before little man arrives! We had a blast. Thanks for the pictures I stole from Margy!



No comments:

Post a Comment