Saturday, May 10, 2014

Birthmother's Day

Mother's Day weekend is not complete without thanking the amazing woman who made it possible for me to be Brooklyn's mother. Krista is strong, courageous, and filled with a powerful force of love. I can't imagine the love it would take to step forward in the journey of placing a child for adoption. 


Only those who have been involved in the adoption process in some way can really comprehend the miracles that take place. Hypotheticals, situations that would seem uncomfortable, concepts that may be difficult to understand, relationships that might be complicated... all this comes into its own simple beauty that is orchestrated by God. Or at least it has for us. At the heart of it all is love. It was love that brought us Brooklyn. It is love we feel for her birthfamily. It is the love of our Heavenly Father that we all feel and that enables everything. When I became a mother, I remember the strong understanding that the reason I could never comprehend the love I would have for my child until my child was actually born was because I had not the capability for it until God loved through me. That emotion and connection is not within my own power to feel; it is the love of Heavenly Father that he enables me to feel, and blesses me to feel, so that I may love His child while that child is in my care. My heart continues to expand and stretch. God has performed miracle upon miracle and opened the necessary doors to bring our family together. It has not been an easy road, and we have been tested in very real ways. But, even those tests were miracles too. 

Krista is one of our extraordinary miracles. Our hearts are tied to her, and we are filled with the most sincere admiration and gratitude to her for helping Brooklyn find her way to us. Our understanding of "family" is enhanced, and we are blessed to be family with her (and her family too!). We are blessed to have her in our corner, cheering for our family, and supporting us. Brooklyn is so loved, by so many, and the love of her birthmom is significant. 

The day before Mother's Day is set aside to honor birthmothers who have chosen adoption plans for their babies. Last year, Birthmother's Day was two days after Brooklyn's birth. It was the day Krista selflessly sent us home to start our life with our baby girl. I woke up the next morning to celebrate Mother's Day with the greatest gift from Heaven.  

We want to express our gratitude to Krista for the precious gift she gave us that day, and for the love we have felt from her and for her every day since. We are truly blessed to have her in our lives, and we are thrilled that Brooklyn will always know her birthmom--and know the love her birthmom has for her. Because of Krista's strength, love, and perspective, Brooklyn Rose is eternally ours, and our family can be together forever. Krista chose this for Brooklyn, and we are in awe of her.

To our Krista,
Happy month of May, and all the celebrations of Brooklyn, motherhood, and you!


No comments:

Post a Comment