Friday, May 9, 2014

Happy 1st Birthday Brooky!

My baby girl is ONE today.

My heart is so full when I reflect on this weekend last year, and all that occurred. I think about her birth, her placement day, and the day in between. I think about the day, seven months later, when we went to court to finalize her adoption. I think about the next day at the Salt Lake City Temple when we became eternally each other's. I think about the blessing Scott was able to give her from her Father in Heaven. We are so filled with wonder and awe of Brooklyn that every day feels a little like her birthday. We celebrate her every day!   



Two and a half years ago, when Peter was born, Scott stood by my bedside with the knowledge that my first pregnancy was my last. I was in critical condition, with many complications and an uncertain forecast for recovery. Fearing the anxiety and sadness it would cause, Scott and my parents were nervous to tell me about this great change for our family until I was well and strong. 

But I already knew, thanks to my Heavenly Father and the errand of angels.
I told them I knew after a number of sacred experiences while in the OR and the ICU.

Brooklyn came to our family by divine design. There was no element of accident or coincident. No part of her story leaves us feeling lucky. It leaves us feeling blessed. 

We have witnessed miracle upon miracle, for longer than we had been aware. The Lord opened doors and prepared the way and hearts of many so that Brooklyn could find her way to us, and so that we could find our way to her. Our family was meant to progress in the way we are now. He blessed us with knowledge and comfort and peace. He strengthened us for the journey through trials guided by His understanding and perspective. 

I wasn't scared. I wasn't confused. At a time when the promise of my own life seemed uncertain, God was preparing me in His way for the lives that would come into mine. I knew that God would provide me everything I needed to be the mother I needed to be for my children, both my newborn son on earth and the strong spirits smiling us on from heaven. I recognized those spirits in our very room.

I knew, I was very literally told, that I would know all my children in that same way that I knew Peter. I wasn't bonding with his physical appearance; my spirit knew his spirit. This was not our first meeting. I love to tell Brooklyn about the first time I held her, how my spirit knew her spirit and I was filled with peace, warmth, and perfect assurance. The angels that attend us every day wrapped their arms around our family, and we felt secure, joyful, whole, and the feeling of coming home to ourselves. Brooklyn was our daughter. She was meant to be in our family. After a long parting from each other, she was here.



Those feelings of recognition and remembrance, of pure understanding, were perfectly shown in our Peter when he saw his baby sister for the first time since parting with her in heaven 20 months before.


We are grateful every day for Brooklyn's birthmom and birthdad for the strength they had to help her find her way to us. We are blessed to have them as part of our family, and all the selfless love they bring with them. Brooklyn is a bright spot in our lives and a perfect reminder of pure joy. She is an extraordinary miracle and a brave soul. She came to this earth with a heightened capacity to love. She is happy. She is eager. She is active. She is social. She smiles all the time. She is so filled with character and spunk. She has the sweetest disposition with the most animated personality. We cannot imagine our family without her in it. 

Brooklyn Rose
Brooke
Brooky
Booky (Peter's name for her)
Booky Boo
Baby Grill (Girls are "grills" to Peter)
Angel Girl
Angel Baby
SMILES

Happy First Birthday Brooklyn Rose!
We love your guts.

No comments:

Post a Comment