Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Oh, There you are Muffin!

Oh, There you are Muffin!

When my mom comes to town, we always go visit the little bundt cake shop. Yes. bundt cakes. It's the only way I can tolerate living so far from a Sweet Tooth Fairy store. I'm not even a cake person! But my mom and I get kind of ridiculous about the white chocolate raspberry tiny bundt cakes, and we always make a stop when she's in town. So we popped into the store before going to dinner to grab some dessert to take home for later. I ran into the store and returned to the car with a little peanut butter chocolate chip bundt cake sample. Neither of us wanted it, so I put it on the center console, and we drove to dinner. After dinner, we got back in the car to head home and get the kids all set for bed. Peter was a little slap-happy and silly that night, and the first think I hear from him after buckling him in his seat,

"Oh, there you are muffin! I came back! I always come back!"

I turned to look at my adorable two-year old and saw him talking to the little piece of cake on the center console. I closed my eyes and took a moment to soak up how hilarious and darling it was. My son was talking to the cake, calling it a muffin, and reassuring it.

I did a little follow up with Peter to get him to talk to the cake a little more. My mom and I died of laughter and cuteness. He didn't even want to eat the thing! He was just so aware of it like a member of the family.

The next day he was really concerned with the "muffin" was no longer there.


Fluffing the Book

Brooklyn is very into touch-and-feel books lately. She is into book in general lately. She LOVES reading time in Peter's room when Peter sits in his bed, and she stand by his bedside, where I am kneeling, while we read our bedtime books. She loves when we sit down together during Peter's nap and read her little board books. She loves to point to everything and say, "Dis? Dis? (This? This?)." Peter used to say "Dat? (That)," so I am loving hearing Brooklyn do something similar. Her favorite books are touch-and-feel board books, so of course Peter is interested in them all over again. So he selected every touch-and-feel book he could find in the house, made a big stack, and requested we read them for bed. Since they are so much shorter than his normal bedtime books, I decided we could get through the stack. Boy, was I wrong. They took five times as long for each book because Peter insisted on "fluffing" all the pages. "Fluffing." We'd read a page and he'd say, "Wait! I want to fluff it. Booky want to fluff it? Mommy want to fluff it?"

I love the term of "fluffing" the book.


Dance?

 Peter's dance moves have been well-documented, but Brooklyn has some pretty fantastic dance moves as well! She loves to dance! She loves to dance with her mama in the kitchen. I take one of her hands in mine, and we zhroom around the kitchen like we're dancing, and she beams and smiles the whole time. I love it. But she'll also dance on her own when she hears music or sees her brother boogying. She'll get up on her knees and start bouncing up and down. It's the most adorable thing. Today we were listening to a song called, "Happy." I swear, it's her theme song, because she is the embodiment of happy. She was crawling around, and I pulled our my camera and asked, "Brooky, can you dance?" She turned her head to look at me and started dancing with the biggest smile on her face. Oh, she is a joy!


Bedtime Story

On the subject of bedtime stories, I had to get this one down. We were in Chicago for a week, and I had only packed three little books for the plane. We bought one little Peter Rabbit book for a buck at a used book store we found in Chicago, but between those four, he became very bored with the same stories all week long. He is a major reader, and goes through fifteen books a day, so the same four for over a week was rough on the kiddo. I have about a dozen kids' books memorized. Peter can say about half a dozen of them with me. But even that got old. So I asked him if he wanted a story from my head. I won't go into detail about the story that ended up being so exciting to him (something about an explorer named Peter who goes off into the jungle and ends up getting back home with the help of all the animals he meets), but I will never forget the excitement in his face. The next night he asked for the story again, and when I varied slightly from the original, he corrected me. His memory!


Goodbyyyyyyyyyyeeeee!

We listen to Pandora at our house in the mornings during breakfast. Peter loves the Disney station. He has seen maybe two of the movies, but he is learning to recognize and sing along with a lot of the songs. I am truly in awe with his natural ability with music. He has incredible intonation for a little guy, he can pick up on a beat or rhythm before any of us even know there's music in the background, and he is just like me in the sense that he can hear a song one time and nearly have it memorized. Today a song from the Sound of Music came on. During the part of the farewell song, when Kurt sings his high-pitched, "Goodbyyyyyyyyyeeee," Peter starts giggling, and sings, "Goodbyyyyyyyyyeee," perfectly in pitch. During the song where Maria is teaching the kids to sing and says, "Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-tea....." and then stops before competing the scale, Peter, drawing at his easel sings, "Do," the final note in the scale in perfect pitch. I was amazed. He is really starting to sing a lot more lately, and learning so many songs. I adore his little voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment