Tuesday, November 10, 2009

OH LIBRARY...

These days I read and write all day in the comfort of my own home... but tonight I am here at the U of U library.

I love studying at the library. I actually get a ton more done because it gives me that familiar feeling of studying at BYU until the wee hours of the night (I have to say the BYU library is a lot busier... I think the reason for that is because the library at the Y is used about 60% for facilitating our educational experience and 40% for social interactions, while the students at the U apparently do their socializing elsewhere). I have been studying up here during the daytime on occasion, but this is my first return to evening library study since my days at BYU when I was highly committed to my specific spot in the LRC (I sat there for years! Scott and I remember seeing each other in the LRC all the time my sophomore year. Apparently my schedule there was so regular that he knew exactly when to swing by the LRC to bump into me for a quick hello).

I feel like I came very prepared for the evening. I even packed a little ziploc baggie of Apple Jacks (well, Scott prepared it for me upon my request... isn't he nice?). I sat in a strategic zone of the library. South AND north facing windows so I don't feel like I'm underground (periodicals at the Y was never my thing). I can't see out the windows... just reflections in them... but it makes me feel better having windows even if I don't know what's beyond them. Clearly the north facing ones must separate me from another room. I'm near the restroom... but not so near that I'll look up whenever someone comes to use them. I've chosen to sit strategically far from the drinking fountain for this same reason, but just close enough so I can dash for a sip of water without having to worry about my stuff getting stolen (something I never considered at BYU. Not because of the honor code or the fact that everyone there is Mormon and likely has been taught that "thou shalt not steal," but actually because the chances were that I would know at least 30% of the people who had randomly assembled in the desks near me. I knew one of them would keep an eye on my stuff). And the final positive point of my seating choice... I'm in a cubical. A little cell! If I want to look around at anyone or anything that might distract me from my work, I would have to seriously strain my neck.

The one problem I failed to foresee... I chose a cubical near a computer outlet plug-in. I don't need the computer for my particular assignment. While this blog post has only taken a total of three minutes so far, in the future I will have to avoid this oversight. It's not as big of a deal as this would have been back in the day. I used to have email correspondence with a ton of people. So when I was in the groove of my work, I'd pop onto my computer, and there! Distraction! I'd have at least one email to read from someone. I guess one more good thing about getting married is that a lot (okay... all) of the email socialization goes away... and with it... distraction.

Don't check your email Lindsey... no one has written you!

On top of all of this.... I have been using Scott's computer while waiting for my new computer cord to arrive (which works by a HAIR better than the last one)... and now I suffer Mac withdrawals. I don't miss the Mac. I prefer the PC... but I keep trying to scroll down with two fingers, and I keep pressing alt because it's where the command key is supposed to be on the Mac. It's crazy how your muscle memory conforms that quickly. I am also failing to appreciate having the right click button back in my life.

And for those of you who are reading this, don't write some sort of comment on this post to the tune of "Get back to work," because by the time you read this, I will have already done just that.

s

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, and your blog. Thanks for updating so faithfully! I too am a blogging procrastinator. It's the worst!

    I also love studying in the library. It inspires me because I feel like a lot of amazing thinking is happening. Hopefully thinking that will change the world - you never know, right?

    I miss you guys! Can't wait for SB time too. It's going to be so fun and go by way to fast. And yes, can't wait until we live closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the memories of spending time at the library!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Lindsey! Please let this dream become a reality! Every morning I want to wake up to Lindsey on my ceiling with one of her funny faces on!! ha ha!
    You are so adorable. Thank you for your sweet response on my blog. You remind me of how good life really is.
    I CAN NOT WAIT! for thursday!

    ReplyDelete