Friday, February 5, 2010

It's True...

Snowboarders spend a ridiculous amount of time sitting down on the slopes.


And I can finally say that for a fact.

I've seen it.

Last weekend we had a bunch of friends from Santa Barbara staying with us. We had a blast having everyone under one roof. It was busy, chaotic, and crazy… my favorite things! A bunch of us went up to Snowbird the next day. I found myself being the only skier with five snowboarding dudes and one snowboarding dudette. It was definitely a new experience for me to be the only skier with a bunch of guys. I've never been the minority before (ski-wise). The stereotype is true… they sit down way too much. We'd ski part of a run, and congregate together for a second to make sure everyone was with us. That's normal. But they'd all sit down each time we'd congregate, so it took twice as long to get going again! Scott tells me it's because it's really hard to stay standing on a snowboard. I don't know. I kept thinking, “Why are you sitting! We’re going to go DOWN the mountain… and then we’re going to go back UP the mountain…. And then we’re going to go back DOWN again! That’s why we paid a bundle to be here!” (When you word it that way, the whole sport seems kind of pointless, doesn't it?) But I had a great time. It was a beautiful sunny day. Just shy of spring skiing. I could have kept going well past closing.

In fairness to my boarding friends, however, I'll give you this. I could not snowboard. If I snowboarded every day from now until the day I die, I might pick it up. But I can't get my body to agree with the idea of facing sideways instead of forward. I can waterski better than I wakeboard. When Scott was teaching me to surf, I kept getting up with my feet parallel to each other, facing forward. He kept saying to me, "You're such a skier! Stop facing forward." I can't do it. So congrats for standing sideways. Now can we practice having our little pow-wows in the chairlift?

I love the snow. So glad that groundhog saw his shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment