Friday, April 23, 2010

Kyle

After a week with a dead cell phone, I located the charger and plugged it in to see what messages and missed calls awaited me.

And I was so happy to see a text from Kyle, one of my best friends and cousin! It had been about four months since we've talked! Before two years ago that wouldn't have been a big deal... but after living next door to each other at school and hanging out almost every day... I'm really surprised that it's been so long! I guess marriage takes it's toll! By the time we were out of the newlywed stage, Kyle and Allison were in it!

I called Kyle back, and it was great to catch up on what has been going on. I don't like long gaps between talks with my friends, but it's great when you can go that long and pick right up where you left off. It's the mark of a great friendship, I think.



When Kyle and I were hanging out one day, we talked about who was going to get married first. Most people claim that they're not getting married for a while, but Kyle and I were convinced that we'd beat each other (having observed first-hand each other's dating life). I told him we should make a bet. Kyle suggested we bet a puppy. If I got married first, Kyle would have to buy me a puppy. If he got married first, I'd buy him a puppy. A husband AND a puppy? Pretty good deal, right?

I went off to river guide, and we didn't talk quite as often. When I was done on the river, I went to Kyle's house in Roseville for a week to hang out with Kyle (originally to spend time with him before I left on my mission). He was the first one to know about Scott. I caught him up on everything, he gave me a lot of good advice, we went hiking and boating, and six months later this picture was taken at my wedding. Kyle brought his cute girlfriend to the wedding. I thought she was great! I was about to tell Kyle to pay up with the puppy, but I instead told him that if he was engaged within six months of my wedding we'd call it even and we'd each get our own puppy. Kyle kind of shrugged a bit. "Are you going to be engaged within six months, Kyle?!" I asked him.

This is the face he made. Priceless. Their wedding day was one of my favorite days!

No comments:

Post a Comment