Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Finale. Finally.

So this was the "before picture" for our kayaking excursion. This is why I love hanging out with Scott all the time. We do such fun things, even when there's usually a good reason not to do them. For example, we had spent the night sleeping in a park in the back of our car with the rain pelting the roof and window. It wasn't the best of nights' sleep, nor the worst of nights' sleep.

The rain didn't stop. And neither did we. Of course we're going to kayak in the rain. When you're married to Scott, kayak you will... even in the rain.


And I'm glad. Cause we had a blast! It was the highlight of the trip for me, and it was such a fabulous memory.

This is the gear we were able to pack with us on the plane.... thermals... chacos... and our waterproof shells. I was toasty warm the whole time, and we were able to stay pretty dry at first.



I love this guy! The day was perfect for kayaking, even with the rain! The rain kept the wind away and the water quiet. There were times when I felt like we were the only two people in the ocean.



Scotty was searching for critters. I met so many fun ocean friends on this trip! We saw seals (including a baby) within about a foot of us, resting on a dock. We saw tiny jellyfish in the water surrounding us. I couldn't believe how many jellyfish I found once I started looking for them. And my personal favorite was the starfish! I have NEVER actually seen a live jellyfish up close. I've NEVER actually touched one! Scotty, being the studly fella that he is, made sure that I had the best first encounter with the creatures ever.

"See Lindsey! Don't you want to hold the squishy thing? It probably won't pee on you."


"Hmm... it is squishy, and also scratchy. Do you think I could hide this one in my life jacket and take it home with me on the plane once it had dried out? No? The Canadians do not love that very much? Hmm..."

"What if I eat it instead? Oh dear. It is too big for my mouth."
"Here are some purple sluggish friends."

"I will name every one of them Ursula because they remind me of the purple sea witch on the mermaid movie. Is there any way this thing could reach out its tentacle and smack me?"
The "after picture"... sopping wet and LOVING life! I was having a hard time grasping the concept that our trip was about to end! I'm so glad we kayaked in the rain. It was one poetic moment after poetic moment that just felt as close to perfection as I think I've ever gotten. I loved it, and I loved having Scott to share it with me! Thanks for the wonderful trip, babe! (Too bad he never reads this thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment