Saturday, August 20, 2011

Honey Nut Cheerios (and NINE days to go!)

There's something about honey nut cheerios at 4:30am. I'm laying in bed restless, getting up to use the bathroom twenty times, unable to stay cool, my back hurts... so I get up, give Scott free reign over the bed, and stumble downstairs for a bowl of honey nut cheerios. After I've had my bowl of cereal, I crash on the couch and stay there until morning.



There's something about this time that I enjoy. I wish I could be sleeping... but I also don't mind my quiet time in the morning (or middle of the night). I'm glad it's not every night. But every once in a while isn't too bad.



I'm thinking about this last week of my life... of my life with Scott. We realized yesterday that tomorrow (today... I guess) could be our last Saturday before we have the baby. We really want to enjoy the day together and do something we love. I can't believe our countdown is in the single digits. 9 days. 9 days. I can't really conceptualize what that means. 9 days goes by so fast!



The weirdest part is that it could be 9 days. It could be 3 days. It could be 16 days. (I found out on Tuesday that LDS hospital won't let my doctor induce me until 41 weeks... so at the most I guess I could go over a week).



I have really enjoyed pregnancy. It is amazing to me that my body knows what to do to take care of itself, me, and the baby. I sit back and take the cues from something within me that seems to have all the answers. It's a privilege to be able to participate in such a beautiful part of God's plan. I'm so grateful I've had this opportunity, and I'm grateful it's been such a positive experience (I hope it continues to be 9 days from now!)



There are a few things that always make me laugh a little about being pregnant. It doesn't offend me... but why do people stare? It's confusing. I can never figure out what about a pregnant belly is so worth staring at? What's so interesting about it? How awkward to be face to face with someone, but to actually be looking face to belly. It cracks me up when I'm talking to someone and they keep doing double takes from my face to my belly. Or I also love the full-on double takes when i walk in a room and someone looks at me, looks away, and then circles back to my me as if I was wearing a chicken suit or riding a unicycle. Nope... just carrying a baby. People do it all the time. No need to stare. My face is up here, thanks!



I was at Smith's earlier this week and got a couple comments. The first guy was very nice. He was whistling the opening tune from the cartoon Robin Hood movie as he approached me, and he just started chatting away about my due date and everything. Nice guy. I appreciated the chat. Two aisles later I'm reaching for a jar of spices, and two older women walk past me. As they mosey on by, one of them turns to the other, making no obvious effort to muffle her voice, "Wow. They keep getting younger and younger don't they?" I'm 24 years old! Yes, I'm young... but I'm not a teenage pregnancy case like most the world assumes.



I don't get comments like, "Oh! You're about to pop aren't you?" or "Are you having twins?" But I've been asked if I've worked out my high school graduation requirements. And I get nosy old women at the grocery store speculating about my life choices. So glad everyone's concerned.



I'm so excited to start my new life. I feel like I'm in limbo between the old an the new. I'm emotionally ready to be a mom. I am so excited to take that step with Scott. You get to a point where your life stops being about you, and you just know there's something bigger and more important you could do with it. I'm ready to move on to a new constant challenge and adventure. I'm excited for the upcoming newness... which will become our new normal.



I'm going to go for round two and see if I can squeeze in another two hours of sleep. I hear I'm going to really need it soon!



3 comments:

  1. So excited!!! You guys will be great parents. We'll be praying for you these next 3-16 days, and beyond. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you Lindsey! It is so close. My sis-in-law was pregnant with her first and due Sept. 20th-ish but she actually just had him a month early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is great...I'm trying to decide what's worse: someone asking if you're having twins or asking if you're a teen mom. Luckily, I never got either, but I did get total strangers who thought it was appropriate to touch my belly in the grocery store. I'm praying for you guys that everything will go smoothly! Love you Linds!

    ReplyDelete