Monday, August 15, 2011

Superhero Song.





This picture is too funny. I had to post it, even though it's from Easter. This is one of the rare hard times. These kids are usually goofy, entertaining, and energetic.



After our class on Saturday, we rounded off the night with a little babysitting (you know... because we had babies on the brain). We watched Andrew, Ben, and SJ while Keek and Nick went to Keek's ten-year high school reunion.



Scott gets the ultimate babysitter award. He's never actually been up there with me when I've watched the kids... and things were so much easier when he was there. They love him! He kept them busy the entire time going on imaginary treasure hunts for imaginary clues that lead to an imaginary object. These kids didn't even know what they were looking for, but they loved finding it, whatever it was! SJ even walked around playing with them, holding Scott's finger the entire time. It was so fun to watch (and so relaxing to not have to be the entertainer for once).



So the kids were ideal the whole night. Honestly... ideal. And when it came down to bedtime, they were all going down easily. I was putting Ben down and asked if he wanted to say a prayer. He asked if we could say a prayer and then sing a song. I know his mom sings him some primary songs at night, so I said sure and asked him what song he wanted. He looks at me excitedly and also taking himself very seriously, "A SUPERHERO SONG!"



"A superhero song? Cool. Okay I bet your Uncle Scott will have an awesome superhero song. Let me go get him."



Scott was in with Andrew. We put Andrew down, thinking Ben would fall asleep and forget about the superhero song. Nope. Minutes later he reminded us, and we were kneeling by his bed, looking at each other, trying to think of a superhero song for Ben.



So I bust out the only thing I can think of, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... turtles in a half shell... TURTLE POWER!"



Scott joins in and offers some catchy improv about how they're green, live in the sewer, hang with April and Splinter, eat pizza, and we round the whole thing off with another round of of "turtles in a half shell... TURTLE POWER!" Ben is in heaven. I've never seen him smile so big. And when we finish, he just grins from ear to ear, lays down, and falls asleep smiling. Scott and I couldn't stop laughing. And I've laughed the last two mornings in the shower as I find myself singing about ninja turtles and practicing my improv skills to match Scott someday.



(Totally random tidbit. I'd like to get really good at reciting Cowboy poetry. it's my latest obsession. Don't know where it came from. Don't know why I'm mentioning it now. Just thought I'd throw it out there.)







The best part, is that he doesn't even know what Ninja Turtles are! But I can picture what's going on in his mind. "Ninjas? Turtles?" The genius that is the creation of Ninja Turtles begins to infiltrate the minds of the new generation.



The other best part is that Ben usually gets a bedtime song of Families Can be Together Forever, so I hope Kirsten's okay that we sent him into slumber land thinking about crime-fighting creatures.



The other best part is that Ben is obsessed with superheroes lately (he wants to be spider man when grows up... or an Indian), and he has already decided that his birthday party in October will e a superhero party. Unborn little man has already been invited. I feel so happy that he has a party invite before even entering the world. I can't wait to tell him. "Welcome to the world, my little guy. Guess what! You're going to a superhero birthday party!"



I love these kids. I can't wait to meet my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment