Friday, August 27, 2010

Souvenier Shirts (a picture will do)

We are entering a busy weekend, so I want to get as much of this done today as I can... but I think this might be the last one for the day. Maybe I'll have some time to finish up on Sunday.

Scott and I are SO BAD at shopping. We didn't get a single souvenier in Canada! We finally broke down and got one at Pike Place in Oregon before coming home. We feel like our pictures are souveniers enough! We'd rather spend the money doing fun things than have gadgets around our house. I'd rather have great memories speak for our trip than a doo dad on the shelf.

But as we walked around Whistler, we each picked the shirt we would give to each other if we were to buy a shirt.

I would have gotten Scott this shirt (I really would have if they had his size). It screams Scott! It is the logo and cover of the Endless Summer surf movie that Scott's obsessed with, but with a biking twist, which is Scott's surfing replacement while landlocked. As I look at again I am thinking, "You know what, I am going to find this shirt online. He needs this shirt. This is HIS shirt."

This is the shirt Scotty picked for me. He just started laughing when he saw it. He's always teasing me about my love for the mountains. He likes the mountains, but I LOVE the mountains and can't live without them. They're home! I like the beach, but Scott LOVES the beach and can't live without it. How are we ever going to find a compromise?

So this is an ongoing discussion between us... not where we're going to live. That's so far in the future that we figure it'll just unfold for us when it needs to... but the discussion about mountain verses beach.

For me, the beach is a vacation, not a lifestyle. For Scott, he'd rather live by the beach and take a ski trip in the winter. He loves the sun; I love the snow. He craves the summer; I get giddy when the snow starts to fall. He comes alive when he can jump on his bike; I come alive when I can strap on my skis. You may ask how this marriage can possibly work... but I think we balance each other out nicely. And we both like both seasons/lifestyles... it's just that we each LOVE one more than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment